October has been mild and a little damp. However, I have enjoyed many an autumn walk, collecting some leaves which I dried and have used as inspiration for this months Stitching Project.
I love the way these leaves look en masse. So I began by painting ,using fabric paints ,onto a piece of washed calico. I applied bondaweb. Then I cut out leaf shapes, placed them onto my backing fabric and started to sew. I was after an effect like the photograph above.
Now the overall effect is not to my liking yet.
Individually I like the leaves
but the middle bit lacks definition
My thought is that it needs a yellow leaf in the middle.So do I paint up more fabric and make a large leaf like the colours here
or do I use this yellow fabric for a leaf?
Or do I just leave it alone ( pun not intended!) Do I apply wadding to the back and quilt? Do I just try to define some of the leaf shapes more, add some veins? Really would appreciate all thoughts and comments.
Linking with Lola Nova
I was lucky that I had cracked on ( no pun intended!!) and started my June stitching project at the end of May, or I wouldn’t be able to post this today.
This month I decided to have a go at a technique I have hardly tried before. Applique. And for some reason I decided to do a Funky Chicken.
When I did my City and Guilds Creative Embroidery course I was told I was at a disadvantage, but not an insurmountable one. I can’t draw. Well I can produce a credible stick person and seagull flying in the distance, but that’s about it. The answer is tracing, photocopying, collage, abstracts, in general getting help from wherever I can. And in this case, scaling down a wall hanging chicken from a magazine circa 1998, changing the colours and fabric, and making it my own. And turning it into a cushion. The applique is felt and the background fabric is a fat quarter and the edge and back of the cushion is a remnant , all from the fabric stash.
But then I didn’t like it on this chair. So finally I plucked up courage and dug this chair from the back of the wood store, originally purchased at a car boot sale by Mr E as a useful chair for standing on.
And then I bought a tin of Annie Sloan chalk paint and wax( incredibly stocked in a shop in Pickering). And together they look like this.
What do you think?
Meantime I decided that my May project, seascape fantasy deserved finishing off properly.
On a box of its own with a home made cord round the top. No idea what to do with the box now, any ideas?
Joining with Lola
I recorded both the Great British Sewing Bee and Kirsty’s Christmas to watch “sans” Mr E who isn’t into sewing and crafts, and thought wouldn’t it be nice to do a bit of sewing whilst I watched.
I had everything I needed to make the customised baby blanket from
this lovely book. And here is
this little rabbit. I used a fleece bought from ASDA-I noticed that Sainsbury’s make one too. The book used a blanket with a fringe and said to make the tail from one strand of the fringe. Not only didn’t I have a fringe , the book then warns that this should not be given to child under three as the wool fringe and tail present a choking hazard. So a baby blanket not for a baby. I made the tail from a circle of white felt tightly gathered and the stuffing very well secured and sewn down.
Mr E said it looked very professional! Gosh!!
It was so nice to watch both these programmes in peace and quiet whilst I hand stitched this. I do love hand sewing so much. As for the programmes, nice to watch but I won’t be making anything shown- I think the blogs I read are so much more inspirational.
And here’s the blanket with Mopsy Rabbit- both of course for the delectable little Miss F.
PS both are turquoise but my camera seems incapable of taking this colour- or maybe it’s cos I am not very good at photography!!!!!